Carbon monoxide poisoning is among the most publicised health & wellbeing related topics during a winter season and this is due to the fact that homeowners put their lives in danger every year by failing to sufficiently check and maintain heating appliances as a preventative procedure.<br/><br/>Carbon monoxide is a colourless, odourless gas, which can be exceptionally tough to discover. For those people unforunate enough to come into contact with it, it is typically too late. Nonetheless, there are a fewbasic steps which anybody can perform to lower the danger of this type of poisoning. If you haven't carried out a minimum of two of these actions, you should do so without delay.<br/><br/>1) Get informed, there is lots of information available on the internet from sites such as www.boilerblog.co.uk. Lots of individuals believe carbon monoxide poisoning to be something which is only related to gas fired appliances. This is not so. It exists in all kinds of fuel burning home appliances from strong fuel heaters and stoves, to oil fired main heating and appliances and yes, gas boilers too. Whatever kind of heating and/or range system you have, get it inspected frequently by a signed up technician.<br/><br/>2) Look for the presence of black, sooty marks around the radiants (the clay bars above a gas flame).<br/><br/>3) Purchase an audible alarm system. You can obviously take steps to try to find indicators of carbon monoxide without having to invest any cash, but my advice to you would be that even if you have to scrimp and save for anything this winter, let that be a carbon monoxide alarm system. You can't put a price on preventing a death and these alarms are inexpensive, yet quite literally capable of saving life.<br/><br/>4) Inspect for smoke collecting in spaces due to defective flues. This can be particularly possible when burning solid fuel / wood burning fires. Defective flues will frequently result in smoke re-entering the room. This can be incredibly poisonous. Turn the appliance off or put it out right away and call a registered technician if this happens to you.<br/><br/>5) Stay alert. Contact your doctor immediately if you are worried about the presence of carbon monoxide in your house because of observing any of the tell-tale signs of trouble. Leave your home as soon as possible and arrange for a professional to inspect your house as quickly as possible. If carbon monoxide is discovered then get to your neighborhood doctor at the first chance.<br/><br/>Carbon monoxide deaths are totally avoidable and are therefore even more tragic. These fatalities typically happen between November and February each year and as such, now is the time to act. Winter season is the most common time of year for checking heating and stove appliances, so while you're checking yours to ensure it's suitable for the winter season ahead, do not just concentrate on avoiding it from breaking during a cold spell. Get it thoroughly examined for indications of carbon monoxide leakage and guarantee where possible that all of your pals, family and next-door neighbors do too.